Benefits of Aromatherapy Massage
April 26, 2011 | Health
Aromatherapy massage, as the name suggests, is a treatment that utilizes the wonders of aromatic scents. It is applied in a form of gentle massage
Varieties of essential oils are used in aromatherapy treatment. Essential oils and its effects vary depending on the plants where the oils are extracted from. The aromatherapy essential oil can be obtained in different parts of the plant such as fruit, bark, flowers or roots. Depending on the type of plant essence, essential oil may have dissimilar therapeutic properties. With different varieties of essential oils that can be used in treatments, the benefits of aromatherapy may vary.
Before aromatherapy is performed, the therapist may require the receiver to have consultation. With this, suitable type of essential oils will be selected to achieve desired effects. Once chosen, it will be combined with carrier oil to acquire the right blend of aromatherapy oil. Aromatherapy blend is applied to the receiver’s skin through gentle massage. Different massage techniques can be used in aromatherapy treatment depending on the receiver’s preferences.
What are the benefits of aromatherapy massage?
As mentioned, the aromatherapy benefits and effects may vary depends on the essential oil that will be used. But usually, aromatherapy may affect the receiver both physically and psychologically. The therapeutic properties of essential oils that are inhaled and absorbed (by the skin) can revitalize, encourage optimistic thinking, soothe and fortify immune system which enables the body to recuperate itself.
Psychological benefits of aromatherapy
- It uplifts spirit and promotes overall condition of the body.
- It helps the receiver to lessen nervous tension.
- It enhances overall thinking of the receiver and lighten bad mood such as depression and anxiety
- Aromatherapy soothes one’s mind.
Physiologically benefits of aromatherapy
- It improves blood circulation which increases nutrient and oxygen supply to the muscle tissues.
- Aromatherapy helps boost immune system.
- It promotes relaxation in the receiver’s body.
- It loosens muscle tension and tight nerves which helps increase energy level.
- It improves lymphatic drainage resulting to reduced water retention.